Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Chapter 2: Support systems

Chapter 2
Alpine, Utah
I was not excited about the move to Alpine right before 2nd grade started. I was even more sad that my Grams would not be driving me to school anymore.
No more donuts.
No more 32oz. Diet Coke. 
I remember the first day of 2nd grade. I had just gotten my perm re-done and boy those curls were tight. We made sure that they used the smallest curlers for the most dramatic of perms. Only the best for me of course…
I got a new outfit that consisted of floral printed spandex shorts with matching shirt and lined with black lace. I looked like a lumpy sausage in a roll of Waverly wallpaper. The only thing comfortable on me that day were the glistening white pair of wide-width orthopedic Reeboks that my Grams bought me to christen my first day at my new school. I had double-knotted those beauties for the day and was ready to take on my new and scary world.
Needless to say I still didn’t fit in. I guess you could say I was too smart for my age. (Don't worry, I got dumber as the years progressed) 
It was true.
In kindergarten I was reading on a 12th grade reading level. I was bored most of the time but too shy to even ask to go to the bathroom let alone answers questions out loud that the teacher had asked. So, I did my work and played alone at recess. One time, I remember sneezing so hard in class that I peed my pants and I was too afraid to ask to go to the bathroom. Needless to say, I sat like that for hours until recess came. I then called my mother and had her bring me a new outfit. There is nothing spectacular to write about in those next couple of years of elementary school. I had a few friends here and there but none of them ever stuck.
Then 6th grade came along and this is when I met Rachel.
rachel
I met Rachel one evening in 6th grade when my mother made dinner for her family and I had to help bring it to their house. I remember I was wearing my favorite shirt and of course my Reeboks were newly polished to an angelic white. As we approached the house, my mother looked at me and quickly uttered "don't blow this" under her breath to me as Rachel’s mother opened the door and let us in. We entered the kitchen and I laid the food on the counter. Just then, a girl about my age came around the corner.
This girl was pale with freckles, weighed about 85 pounds when she was soaking wet, and had the straightest blond hair that you could possibly get.
Exactly the opposite of me.


They made the awkward introduction and instructed Rachel to take me up to her room to show me her Disney collectibles. I was fascinated by this girl and all the cool things she had in her room. We had very little to talk about and then we left.
This was my first encounter with Rachel and little did I know that she would be my saving grace for many years to come.
I learned later on, that Rachel’s mother had told her that she had to hang out with me and invite me places because I didn’t have any friends. I didn’t care. I needed a friend.
I knew that I was uncool in my stirrup leg stretch pants, paired with a Looney Tunes oversized t-shirt. My style progressed over the years but was still very slow moving and never really caught up to present day until I graduated college.
My cousin and I in Nebraska showing how bad "ass" we really were
Throughout the rest of the 6th grade year we would hang out and get together at each other’s houses and I was really feeling like I was started to fit in somewhere.
I even convinced my mother to let me get my perm chemically straightened. It went from barely touching my chin to almost touching the small of my back once we let them out. Yes, those curls were tight.
Anyways.... Where were we?
Oh yeah.
At the time of this first encounter with Rachel I did not know how much we would be a part of each other's lives.
Throughout the years we became best friends. We were completely opposite. But that's what makes it work.
She was the class clown and the life of the party. I would describe her as someone who is liked by everyone. People knew who she was and this happened to also include every teacher at every school that we went to.
Yes, that is a fake eye patch. Senior pictures. In our yearbook.
Somehow, I was always dragged in to every mischievous event that ever occurred. She snuck me out of class. Got me to ditch important courses and even cheated on a few tests back in the day for each other (Shhhhhh.... don't tell anyone). She was the type of person who would lock the photography teacher in the dark room and then blame it on me just to see their reaction. 
I tagged along. I was always open to follow her lead. It was always an adventure. 
Fast Forward.... 

Yes, we are still best friends to this day. 21 years later. We talk/ text almost every day. We hang out multiple times a week. We fight like sisters and laugh till we cry. We can sit and do nothing and still have the best time together.
We go on trips together. We make fun of each other. We support each other. And I know we would die for each other. (Or pull the other one in at the same time to a bottomless pit of molten lava, either one works)
Deep stuff right there.
I tell you this because it is important to have relationships in your life that make a difference. It is important to surround yourself with people who inspire you. Who make you want to be a better person. Who will accept you at your worst and at your best. And everything in between.
Rachel is now the CEO of a clothing company called Rags to Raches. They specialize in kid's clothes and home of the original romper. Go check her out.
Instagram: @rags_to_raches
I have watched her build a brand that she is passionate about and puts her whole heart and soul into. She started from making her kids clothes and selling them on Instagram.
She is my biggest inspiration.

She manages to run a very fast-growing company. Has been featured in Vogue magazine numerous times. Has been interviewed on TV and had celebrities representing her brand worldwide. She has the most amazing family at home with 3 boys who I love like they are my own. Makes time to have fun with her friends and family. And is ALWAYS there for the people she loves. She always stresses the fact that family, friends, and loved ones come first.
She has been there for me on my entire journey in life. She has been there through the high's and lows and everything in between. She has cheered me on through my weight loss journey and stayed by my side when my mother died last year. She continually pushes me to succeed and genuinely wants what is best for everyone.
It is VERY IMPORTANT to surround yourself with people who are supportive in your life. Having your own personal cheering section will only help you to succeed. In return, make sure you are that person for someone else. A relationship is a two-way street. It is give and take. Always give more than you take.
We are like two peas in a pod... like Richard Simmons and his short shorts... like Bert and Ernie... like Michael Jackson and Bubbles...   OK, ok. Maybe more like Timon and Pumba but you catch the drift right...
Who is your biggest support? Who is your cheering section? Who is going to help you along in this journey called life?
Xoxo, Heather



1 comment: